All the professionals listed on our website have been trained by Mending the Soul. We require professionals listed to attend basic MTS training courses, commit to ongoing education in trauma and abuse, work through the MTS materials for themselves, and agree with the MTS vision and creed of love.
When looking for a counselor, we suggest the following:
- Look for a licensed therapist with titles like: Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Psychologist
- Ask a trusted organization or church for a list of licensed therapists they refer
- Call counselors and ask if they are trained in trauma informed care
- Call potential therapists and ask questions, paying attention to how you feel when you are interacting with them. Do you feel safe and heard as you are interacting with them? Consider also asking them:
- What is your approach in working with trauma/abuse?
- How do you collaborate with your clients?
- What is your philosophy toward recovery?
- Are there any specific modalities you use?
- Look for a therapist who is respectful of your needs, and willing to collaborate with you in your treatment
- Seek therapists who have attended additional trauma informed trainings such as EMDR, Somatic Experiencing, Trauma Informed CBT, general trauma certifications, etc.
- Ask others who have seen a counselor for names of licensed professional counselors/therapists or agencies that provide care they recommend
- Look on the internet, and read website information about different counseling agencies along with the counselor bio’s. Seek out those specializing in treating trauma/abuse/domestic violence, are trained in trauma informed care, and, if important to you, the integration of faith/Christianity in the healing process
Mending the Soul does not schedule appointments for the professionals listed on our site. Please make direct contact with individual professionals to schedule an appointment, check professional rates, and/or verify insurance policies associated with their professional services.
Journeys Counseling Center, PLLC
2020 S. McClintock Drive, Suite 109
Tempe, AZ 85282
Roxane Thorstad, PsyD
Abuse and trauma recovery, couples counseling, depression/anxiety/PTSD
Tanya Harris, MA, LAC
MTS professional groups, consultations for facilitators, abuse and trauma recovery, couples
Renee Malina, MA, LPC
MTS professional groups, EMDR, abuse and trauma recovery, addiction recovery
Kim Chaves Scott, MA, LPC
Children and families, abuse and trauma recovery, foster and adoption concerns, couples
Terry Thorstad, MSC, LPC
Abuse and trauma recovery, men’s issues, addiction recovery
Vanessa Van Dyke, MA, LPC
Abuse and trauma recovery, sexuality, adolescents
Carolyn Newsome, MA, LPC, LMFT2060 W. Whispering Wind Drive, Suite 274 Phoenix, AZ 85085 firstname.lastname@example.org 623.252.2118
Samia Kamel-Ohm, MA, LPC, NCCHope Restores Counseling South East Gilbert Gilbert, AZ 85297 www,hoperestores.com 480.528.0280
Michael Rehm, MA, LPCStillwaters Counseling
4500 N. 32nd St., Suite 106
Phoenix, AZ 85018
Melinda Reynolds, MA, LPC4800 SW Meadows Road, Suite 300 Lake Oswego, OR 97035 www.melindareynolds.net 503.816.8618
Bekah Stines, MSPC, LPC Intern
Western Psychological & Counseling Services, P.C.
7455 SW Beveland St
Tigard, OR 97223
503.624.2600 x 3103
MTS professional groups, consultations for facilitators, mentor support, individual therapy – specializing in abuse and trauma recovery, depression, anxiety, PTSD