MTS Basic Training
This training is designed for those who want to mentor or facilitate others through the MTS Workbook for Men and Women. Abuse tears the soul, and as Christ followers, we are given the unique responsibility to minister God’s healing touch through the way that we relate to others. This training will further your understanding of abuse and trauma so that you are able to attune to the critical needs of those you love and care for. This 11-hour interactive training includes movie clips, interactive exercises, expressive art, and small group discussion. We will cover the following topics:
- A Theology of Suffering, Brokenness, and Compassion—Scripture gives us an elegant model to understand suffering and how we are to respond. This session unpacks the healing potency of compassion that is offered in Jesus’ name while in community with each other. You will be helped to see, feel, and enter into another’s pain so that you can participate in the living hope that comes from Christ’s redemptive healing.
- Understanding Abuse as a Perversion of Image of God—Humans are dazzlingly unique among the created realm, for only humans are made in the image of God. This session will unpack how abuse, as an abuse of power over another person, perverts the divinely ordained image of God in each of us. Five primary types of abuse will be addressed: sexual, physical, neglect, spiritual, and verbal.
- Four Primary Effects of Abuse—In this session we’ll explore the non-intuitive effects of abuse: shame, powerlessness, emotional numbing, and isolation. You will be helped to recognize these effects and to understand how to respond to survivors in a way that feels helpful and safe.
- Creating Relational Safety—Judith Lewis Herman’s research informs us that there are three phases of healing: safety/stabilization, integration, and re-connection. Establishing emotional, spiritual, and relational safety is the first task for caregivers. This session will show you how.
- How to Begin and Facilitate a MTS Group—In this session you will learn the nuts and bolts of best-practice facilitation. You will be given practical information and resources for setting up your first small group.
- Defenses of the Heart—This session will help you identify the ways in which unhealthy defenses keep you from connecting with others in a deeper and more meaningful way. In a playful and interactive format we’ll explore the most common psychological defenses and practice recognizing them both in our self and others.
MTS Basic Training – Live
Mending the Soul instructors are professionals with theological and psychological education and expertise. This 11-hour interactive live training is offered annually. Registration for the live MTS Basic Training is done directly through Mending the Soul’s website with registration forms available on each calendar event listing. Fees for the live training are: $150 / person. For a list of currently scheduled live MTS Basic Trainings please visit our events page by clicking below.
MTS Basic Training – Video
Mending the Soul also offers this training using the MTS Basic Training Videos. This four disc set offers the same basic information as our live training but in video form. There is also a companion DVD Basic Training Handbook for use along with the videos. Read below how you can use these videos with a MTS Certified Trainer, with your church/organization leader, or on your own.
With a MTS Certified Trainer
Mending the Soul Certified Trainers have been certified to provide training using the MTS Basic Training Videos created by Mending the Soul in conjunction with the MTS DVD Basic Training Handbook. In addition they have been provided tools and training for interactive exercises that help to further prepare those attending the training in what MTS has found to be best practice.
In order to be certified, each trainer must have fulfilled the following requirements established by Mending the Soul:
- Completed a MTS Adult Support Group as a participant
- Completed a MTS Basic Training (live or DVD training)
- Facilitated at least two MTS Adult Support Groups
- Received a written recommendation to attend Trainer Certification training from their pastor or Mending the Soul leadership
- Completed the 22 hour MTS Trainer Certification Training
Click below to view a list of MTS Certified Trainers and/or access the Certified Trainer Request form to schedule your own Training using a certified trainer.
For a list of currently scheduled MTS Basic DVD Training with a Certified Trainer please visit our events page.
With Your Church/Organization Leader
Purchase the MTS Basic Training Videos for your church/organization to provide a training (led by a leader from your church/organization) for those who are ready to become MTS adult small group facilitators. Be sure to purchase a DVD Basic Training Handbook for each training participant.
On Your Own
If you do not have a MTS group near you and you would like to be trained in using our resources, purchase the DVD’s to watch them on your own. These videos are also great for every facilitator to have as a resource to reference in order to glean deeper understanding on relating to group members.
For more information about MTS basic training options or to request a training for your church or organization, please email Shanell Bender.